Monday, October 5, 2009

First class, Sturm!

My Betreuungslehrerin picked me up at the Hotel this morning at 7am and drove me to school in Leibnitz. She introduced me to many english teachers as well as the other teachers that were around in the conference room. I also met the secretary and librarian. She showed me a bit around the school and then we sat in the teachers lounge for a while. I talked to her and also met two other teaching assistants. One was italian and another french. I wasn't expecting there to be any other teaching assistants, so that was a nice surprise. The teachers were also really nice. I especially like a teacher named Fritz that teaches religious courses (mostly Catholic theology). Many of the teachers commented on how good my german was, and especially my pronunciation. w00t!

The first class I taught was during 2nd period and I taught the 5. Klasse, which are about 14-15 year olds. I introduced myself and played a game with them that I read about in one of the teaching packets we got at orientation. The game involved a roll of toilet paper, and when I brought it out there were super giggly, which was pretty cute and funny. I had them each take as much as they wanted. Some took a lot and some took barely any. Then I told them that for each square they took they had to say one thing about themselves. This got them speaking english and I got to know them a bit.

Then I asked them if they had any general questions about America. One asked how old you had to be to drink. They didn't talk very much, so I just started talking about where I'm from and showed them a map of the US that I brought with me. They knew where california was, which is cool. I also played "California Girls" by the Beach Boys, who they had heard of before. I thought this was a good song because it was pretty easy to understand and also talked a bit about the different regions of the US. "East coast girls are hip..." etc. The teacher told me they were learning about lifestyles in the US so I asked them what sorts of things they learned about different US lifestyles. I also brought a few facts with me about how big the population of CA is vs Austria and also size of the two. They found it interesting how the whole country of austria could fit into just the state of CA 5 times. They asked me about Barack Obama and we talked a bit about why it is so important that he is our president (ie. smart and black). The kids were laughing and saying "Yes we can".

I did the same lesson with the 8. Klasse, 18-19 year olds an hour later. They weren't as intrigued by the toilet paper game, and no one took a whole lot. There were mostly girls in this class for some reason. They asked me some questions too like have I seen the OC? do i has a boyfriend? I asked them some questions too like why they don't wear shoes, but the teachers can in the school. What is the matura (a test that they all have to take at the end of their last year, 3 written subjects of their choosing and 3 oral subjects of their choosing). Almost none of them are doing english as an oral test but many are doing english as a written one. I offered to help them if they needed it.

After this class which was 4th period one of the teachers gave me a ride back to Graz where she also lives. I got to practice my austrian german more and learned some more pronunciation like "wirkl" instead of "wirklich". I had all afternoon to hang around and eat and wander. I called Bettina (the girl living in my soon to be apartment) and she said to call her tomorrow and that she promises she will be out. Yay! I'm happy to finally get to move in to my own place.

Tonight I just walked around Graz some more after a failed attempt to find a short film that I thought was playing tonight. Something good did come out of it though: My first Sturm experience. Sturm is a fermented grape juice, usually white grapes and is anywhere from 4-10% alcoholic. It was fizzy cuz of the yeast and was bitter-sweet and refreshing. Styria (my "state") is well known for its wine production especially in the south of Styria. I don't know if Sturm will be available much after the grape harvest is over (around November).

Tomorrow I have the day off so that I can pick up my residency permit and open a bank account!

7 comments:

  1. Yea! So will you move in to your new place tomorrow? Your own sheets, bedding, books out and on the shelf!!!!
    It is amazing how the difference in age may and will dictate what you do for the students.
    Hope tomorrow goes well! Love ...mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your first day was a positive one, especially the sturm! : ) I've heard of "sturm" before, but having never been in Austria in the fall, I've never had it! I don't think sturm can be stored...so have a few in our honor before the season ends. : )

    Sounds like all is falling in place for you...I enjoyed reading about the toilet paper exercise! : )

    love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, can't overlook that Sturm Graz is the name of the main soccer team in your locality...perhaps you'll see some fussball soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ash...This is the 4th time I have attempted to add my thoughts without success. Obviously I'm blog-challenged. Maybe this time will be the one! I can hardly wait for morning to come to see whether a new adventure is forthcoming. It is the 1st thing I do. I,ve loved hearing about your adventures and look forward to frequent updates.My love and thoughts are with you always. Love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Ashley....I just realized that you can post comments on your blog. I am so impressed with you and what an adventurer you are! Sounds like teaching is definitely your thing, with the joy you take in watching your students respond to your lesson planning. I also love your stories! Do you Skype with Mom and Dad much? Grandma Barb's 80th birthday was a big success and I think she really was surprised! Love, Auntie Karin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ash... Not just family are enjoying your blog. I clued our friend Kate in Big Sur about it. She is the eyes and ears of what is happening down there on her blog. I'l send you her address. You adventuresome people should get together sometime. She blogged her riverride up the Amazon last year. Love, Grandma Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Ashley....I just realized that you can post comments on your blog. I am so impressed with you and what an adventurer you are! Sounds like teaching is definitely your thing, with the joy you take in watching your students respond to your lesson planning. I also love your stories! Do you Skype with Mom and Dad much? Grandma Barb's 80th birthday was a big success and I think she really was surprised! Love, Auntie Karinthe first toilet in a movie

    ReplyDelete