Monday, May 18, 2009

And so it begins...

Dear Friends and Family,

Today I was sent an offer to become a United States Teaching Assistant in Austria as part of the Austrian-American Educational Commission (Fulbright Commission) for the coming 2009-2010 Austrian academic year. I am so excited to be able to be a part of this program!

I sent in my application on February 13th and was notified April 10th that I was selected as an "alternate candidate", which meant that if one of the "principle candidates" dropped out, then I would be "favorably considered" for placement. I was a little disappointed and began searching for other opportunities for work after my graduation with a B.A. in Religious Studies and German from UC Berkeley this May. While I was attempting to fax in an application as a German-speaking Trekleader with an outdoor company this morning, I checked my e-mail only to find the offer in my Inbox. I jumped up and down with joy in the Fax/Copy store, decided not to fax my Trekleader application and came home.

I'll give you a little background about this program. It has been around since 1963 and is run by the Austrian-American Educational Commission (AAEC), specifically the Fulbright Commission. The teaching assistantship is not specifically through the Fulbright Grants Program though, which leaves me wondering: Am I a Fulbright Scholar? The program is funded by the Austrian Ministry of Education, the Arts and Culture.

As a teaching assistant, I will assist teachers of English in classroom instruction 13 hours per week. That doesn't seem like much teaching to me now, but at least I'll have a lot of extra time to explore Austria! The ages of the students I will be teaching varies. I need to explain the Austrian school system a little bit first to give you an idea of the ages and types of students I will be teaching.

In Austria all students go to a "Volksschule" which goes up to the equivalent of our 4th grade. After that they either go to a "Hauptschule" which concentrates in a specific field or a "Gymnasium" which is a more liberal arts education that prepares them to go to a university. The "Gymnasium" lasts 8 years, while the "Hauptschule" lasts only 4 years. After the end of these 4 years students either go on to prepare for a specific vocation, like engineering or teaching, or attend an "Oberstufenrealgymnasium" which is like the last 4 years of the normal "Gymnasium" liberal arts studies. I will teach either students in the "Gymnasium", "Oberstufenrealgymnasium", or the specific vocation years after the "Hauptschule". I also don't know whether I will be teaching at a public or private school.

Here is what I do know: I am assigned to 2 secondary schools in Leibnitz and Kaindorf an der Sulm in the province of Styria from October 1-May 31.

I am really excited for this opportunity to practice my German (and learn a dialect!) as well as explore a beautiful new country and learn more about the austrian school system.

I'll keep you updated as I know more and please feel free to leave me messages and ask questions.

4 comments:

  1. Ich gratuliere! I am enveloped in flatulent jealousy.

    i look forward to hearing about your stay and your ever blossoming womanhood. these 9 months will prove a most trying time and swarm in feelings of doubt, regret, and agony, but will all eventually explode in less than 10 pounds of unbridled joy and oxytocin you will never forget. i wish you all the best as you bring a little Ashley Jr into this universe. Never forget, you are awesome!

    sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations. I knew fulbright would come to their senses eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little German girl! We must plan for a Christmas in Austria. this will be an amazing time/moment in your life...a period of growth indeed. What a great ambassador you will be for our country. My great grandfather would be amazed that one of his decendents is going back to his homeland (well at least close to it...but German speaking!).. Congrats on a well deserved offer.....Oxytocin, the natural feel good hormone...any wonder the makers of oxycontin spelled it so closely to the"good & natural" stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so this wasn't really spam, despite what my email filter claimed. I guess "lvxnox418" seemed a bit suspicious.
    So you're off to the land of my father's people. He'd often say "amongst my people, we have a saying ..." followed by some Yiddish that he'd translate into something both funny and depressing at the same time, like "Everybody's good at something; my son is good at wanting" or "I'd laugh too if the fool wasn't mine." Don't let such cynicism scare you, though; I know you'll have an amazing time. Just remember to come back.
    All the best,
    Uncle E

    ReplyDelete